Thursday, December 12, 2013

oobleck fun or not so fun experiance

Today I wanted little S to have a sensory play experience that tied with his snowmen ski party lunch so I had him make oobleck. Oobleck is a Dr Seuss like slime that sometimes feels like a solid while remaining a liquid once you mix the harmless ingredients together. This would be great with added food coloring to make the slime green or toxic looking but for our fun today I stuck with the basics.


I got out our sensory bin - a large zip lock container with a lid so I can refrigerate or freeze as needed.

I added 1.5 cups of corn starch (I buy mine at Aldi's and pay less than 1$ for a box that has about 4 cups in it) which makes this project about a $0.30 cost.




I let him play with his sensory toys in just the corn starch for a bit; in hindsight I should have noticed then his heart wasn't really in it. After a few minutes I gave him the 1 cup of water to add.

I had to mix it for some reason he was just not as into it as I was today. I kept trying to reengage him. Once I had it mixed together I showed him how to pick it up and drip it on things including his hand. You would have thought I dipped his hand in something vile from the looks on his face; all this from a kid that stuck his hand in the cat water dish so often we had to move it behind a gate.






Eventually even a mom with the best intentions has to call  it quits and let the kid take a bath and feel better.  We'll do this again on a day that he's into being messy.



No comments:

Post a Comment