Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Chicken Fajita Nacho Inspired Lunch

Today little S was once again subjected to left overs for lunch. Mommy is usually the only one who eats left overs for lunch but today little S has them also. I had made chicken fajita filling in the crock pot yesterday and served it over red and green tortilla chips with taco flavored cheese.

Chicken Fajita in the crock-pot is one of the easiest things I make as it really is a dump and run recipe. I take a 1lb chicken breast straight out of the freezer drop it in, take a cup of onions - today I had some already caramelized onions that I had done earlier in the week in a crock-pot and used those normally I just pull the frozen onions out of the freezer and dump them in. My grocery budget is too tight not to take advantage of sales or throw away fresh veggies and fruit and recently Aldi's had 3lbs of onions for less than a dollar. I got two packages - that meant I had about 15 onions for $1.50 which will stretch a lot of meals while adding nutritional value. I took several of the largest onions and sliced them, placed them on a cookie tray lined with parchment (this makes them easier to transport) and put them in the freezer to individually freeze. The next morning I put them all into a zip top bag (this is where the parchment comes in handy; just fold the parchment to fit in the top of the bag and slide in the onions) and store it in my freezer for quick use. I added a half a cup of the green bell pepper from the freezer which we grew this summer. Then I added a cup of frozen corn and spices. I happen to have a taco blend of spices on hand this week so I used about 3 tbs of that, added 1 tsp extra cumin, and chili powder salt and pepper set to low and come back in 10 hours to shred the chicken.





Main Compartment:

Chicken Fajita mix from above

Red and Green Tortilla chips

Taco flavored cheese

Note- I did microwave this 30 seconds to melt the cheese and warm the filling before serving.


Top Right:

Clementine - these are on sale in December like all other Oranges (except Valencia) which is a great way to get a burst of sunshine into your day.


Bottom Right:

A veggie and fruit squeezie - This one is blue berry which is his favorite and contains 1 1/2 servings of fruit and veggies.




To Caramelize onions take a lot of time and patience which I tend to lack so I caramelize them in a crock-pot. Slice up enough onions to fill your crock-pot 1/2 to 3/4th full. I used my small one so this for me was three onions. Then add  1 TB olive oil for each onion set to low - I stir once the first hour and stir once at the three hour mark then leave it alone and come back in seven hours or more. You do not really need to stir them they work just as well if you do not.  At ten hours total the onions will be just browning and soft, at twelve hours they become more like onion jam so this is a great make overnight or while at work recipe. Eat some now and freeze some caramelized onion in zip top bags for the next time you want to whip up something but do not have an hour or more to stand at the stove and watch onion cooking. To make these for french onion soup - do not include the oil just cook the onions themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment