Tuesday, October 22, 2013

10.20.13 Sensory dough

Today I wanted to revisit playing with dough and see if Little S would be more inclined to play rather than eat a different type of dough. Instead of making the marshmallow dough again I created more of a bread dough for us to play with.

This dough requires only a few simple things I had around the house:

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
3-5 cups flour
optional - two packages of drink mix




I added the wet ingredients to a large bowl and then slowly added the dry ingredients until the dough was no longer greasy from the oil. It took me 5 cups of flour to get mine to not be sticky or greasy. I had two packages of Lemon Lime drink mix left in the cupboard from a few months ago when I was doing another sensory project and mixed those in to give our dough a great green color and fresh sent. I wanted this to be a very sensory experience for him.

This is how our dough came out after mixing:


I tossed it into a pan and started to play with little S. He was more interested in watching me roll balls of dough and trying to lick it when I wanted him to smell it than he was in playing with it himself. He very quickly abandoned me to playing with the dough by myself.



I think we're going to wait until after the holiday's when Little S is getting closer to two to try again. Right now he just has too many other things he would rather play with and explore than dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment