Tuesday, October 22, 2013

10.20.13 Rice discovery

Little S and I have played with colored rice before, we've made rainbows, we have shaken our colored rice in reused water bottles like maracas. and we have rolled them around the house. With the sensory dough not engaging him in play I tried again. I quickly put together a pan of plain rice, added in some orange and green rice (Halloween/fall colors and the same colors our two dough attempts had been), added a baby spoon and fork then I hid inside some dinosaurs.

I set the pan down and little S came over to check it out. He started moving around the rice and was quite surprised at finding a dinosaur. My usually neat child (the kid has clean freak ocd's) spent the next twenty minutes playing with me and flicking the rice out of the pan with either the spoon or the fork, then picking it all back up. He watched me pile the spilled rice and then put it back into the pan the first time then he repeated the steps for himself to clean up. This activity worked on gross motor skills, using a utensil, focus and discovery of dinosaurs, mimicking and fine motor individual rice grain pick up. While I got thirty minutes watching my child learn through play and mimicking. This one I deem a success!


No comments:

Post a Comment