Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Week B also meant spending a lot of time with our Books.

One of the things I make sure we do is read everyday. Some days we are busy and it may only be one or two books here or there; other days it could be an hour of mommy sitting on the floor reading whatever book you hand her. I also make sure on the days daddy has off he reads at least a few books too. I want reading and books to be a big part of his life because like I've said before if you can read, you'll never be lost, lonely or without adventure and the knowledge you have is the one thing no one else can take from you. I don't just stop at Mommy and Daddy, I rope in the big kids when we  have them also. I have H read her books out loud to me so I can check for understanding, pronunciation and answer any questions she may have. It also acts as a way for her and I to spend time together while I'm working that benefits all of us. A doesn't usually bring a book as he has an aversion to reading like his father that I am trying to avoid in Little S; so I have A read Little S's books to him. I want it to sink in deep inside that everyone he loves reads and that makes it important also it helps build his vocabulary.


These were the most popular books of the week.  I read them so many times this week I have them all memorized and many of these are new ones, obviously not the Easter Bunny book which I can recite in my sleep and we use to play another game. This book in particular I may have mentioned before is one of his favorite books and since I have it memorized he can turn to any page and Mommy reads (tells him) what is on the page. It's super fun to slam the book shut or open it to another page and Mommy stops mid word and changes to the new page or just waits for him to reopen the book to start from the top. One day we must have done this for hours... slam the book Mommy stops reading, open the book and Mommy starts over this was apparently very hilarious. This seems to be the only book he associates with this game, which just means he hasn't yet noticed Mommy has all the other books memorized also. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one of my grocery store songs/stories if he is starting to lose interest, which seems to tie into a alphabet obsession I am just recognizing in myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment