Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A trip to the library

Sunday we took a trip to the library, little S and I. We spent more than an hour together while he played with the other kids, ran around, and played on the computers. He picked out a few books as soon as we got there and then enjoyed the time. There was this girl who had to be nearly 7 that approached him while he was playing in the toy kitchen and asked if she could play with him. I let her know he would love to play with her and that he is very little and is just learning to talk. She was so sweet with him and as I hovered near by he played with her and in his own way complimented her on her jewelry. She had on a necklace that he stopped and looked at then pointed to she told him what it was a picture of but I didn't overhear and he smiled at her. All that might seem very normal to most moms; to me it's amazing. My son is most of the time an only child and when his half brother and sister are here they are a lot older than him so he doesn't have a lot of time playing with kids near his age or that are strangers. I hovered nearby to ensure he was playing nicely but also gave him some space to play with other kids.  I didn't know if she was going to really play with him or just take over where he was playing, when he went to touch the necklace I got really worried would he pull it, would she scream, would she push him, I didn't know how the parents would react to my son touching their daughter, and I couldn't have been more amazed. The little girl was so sweet and kind to him, she told him about her necklace and didn't freak out that he was touching it, her dad who looked up didn't give it two seconds of thought likely because she was calm, and my son just smiled at her and let the necklace go. He just had a  connection with this stranger who took the time to let him get to know something about her with patience and grace, and it touched my heart. Honestly it still brings tears to my eyes. 

This little wonder that I brought into the world after ten months of putting him together just experienced another human connection and I couldn't have been more thankful for this little girl. He wasn't bullied, teased or pushed aside because he couldn't talk or didn't know how to share very well, she cared for him and was tender and calm and sweet. They played together a few more minutes before he went to explore something new and realized our library has a ton of computers.

We found a computer in a quiet area and i let him bang on their keys for a while, and almost lol stopped him in time from rebooting their system. He even let his OCD out... someone had left two books on the couch near where I sat down so he could play some more in the kitchen area, he grabbed the books and put them away. I don't mean he shoved them wherever. He literally took them to where that book went. He put one book in section 9 and the other book in section 4, three books back from the front. It was like he had memorized where all the books were when we chose the books as soon as we got to the library and put them back where he remembered them being. It was such a him move I laughed. 

We had a great time and he left under protest. I don't want to overload him and I wanted to keep to our schedule for dinner; also leaving while you still want more is a great way to ensure he'll want to come back and do it again. 

We checked out eight books, two that he chose and six that mommy chose with the next  letter of the week in mind. He fell asleep on the five minute drive home so I call that a successful outing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment