Monday, January 13, 2014

Our First Alphabet Inspired Week of lunches: Week A

I have been singing the alphabet song to my son since the day he was born. I
blame the pain meds the hospital was giving me after the C section but the reality was I didn't prepare any lullaby's because I was convinced I wasn't going to live long enough to meet my miracle. I went to sing my baby boy to sleep and realized I had nothing.. I couldn't remember a lullaby to save my life. Since that first night the kid has heard the Alphabet song, twinkle twinkle, and (aging myself) the Bologna jingle from tv when I was a kid. If you remember that jingle they spelled everything. My bolony has a first name it's O S C A R my bolony has a second name it's M A Y E R.. I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say.. because Oscar Mayer has a way with B O L O G N A.  It least I came up with something and I can halfway justify it as educational ;). Naturally my child now thinks everything is a letter and not a word.. so he tries to recite the alphabet with me.

Around here a learning opportunity is never very far away.. so I started him on letter weeks hoping that down the road it should be even easier for him to recognize letters like old friends he has had lunch with; well at least that's my theory. 


After sorting though my supplies and thinking about the letter A I did come up with a few ideas. 


Week A Day 1: A= Apple (Starting out easy)


He had for lunch today - two apple shaped jelly open face sandwiches with pretzel's for the stems, the rest of his half sandwich with a stamped apple and pretzel stem also jelly inside. Pretzel pieces with the apple stamp I used added on top and a half an apple cut with an A into it. 




Along with our lunch today we got a large arrow that pointed to our letter of the week on our wall.


Week A Day 2: A= Airplane

I cut two jumbo jets out of pepperoni pizza, and a biplane out of apple (there are two of them as well) and then popped air popcorn to represent clouds. 




Today little S go a Alphabet sheet and some washable crayons. He has super great motor control so he doesn't really need large crayons he can write and scribble with the little ones. 





Week A Day 3: A= Alien (this is for Omi)



One hard boiled egg dyed green and yellow once it was peeled (just wipe on the food coloring and wipe it back off) cut in half to make the eyes, cranberries for nostrils and a baby carrot mouth. He also had cucumber slices, and more cranberries, some BBQ chips and a few baby carrots. 

Week A Day 4: A= Ark and Animals



Little S has a peanut butter sandwich I intentionally made with the heel of the bread and decorated with a food color pen to look like wood, the top portion was a piece that was cut off and flipped over to make the captains quarters with port holes. He also has apple slices, baby carrots, and a pen of animals. He has both animal crackers on the bottom and a few sour apple green frosted animal cookies on top. 



Week A Day 5: A= Arrow



Today's lunch features two taco cheese quesadillas cut into arrows pointing to the ABC's of fruit and veggies. Apples, Banana and Carrots along with a handful of Chex Mix completes his week of A Inspired Lunches. 


On top of his lunch container was a magnetic A for him to place on the refrigerator. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea of the letter a week...great idea for learning. Very cute lunches, too!

    ReplyDelete