Tuesday, September 17, 2013

9.13.13 Roald Dahl Day

Roald Dahl Day:  James and the Giant Peach Lunch


Roald Dahl wrote many terrific children's books which made deciding which to honor a challenge. I narrowed it down originally to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or James and the Giant Peach because I remember reading these as a kid. In the end since little S doesn't know either of these stories YET; I chose James and the Giant Peach since I could be a bit more healthy than I intended with Willy Wonka. I'll save Willy Wonka for when he could enjoy a everlasting gobstopper or candy ... everything.

For the main section of our lunch container I chose to recreate an image from the book. In this image the giant peach is being carried by a huge flock of seagulls (queue music in my head)



I wanted to include at least one of James friends and chose the ladybug mainly because she fit and I could include some of the chocolate I short changed him out of.




The last compartment was reserved for an actual giant peach and the book title. I am very proud of this lunch; I think it turned out really well.



Left: Bird Scene

Peach- a breaded chicken patty cut into a peach shape by hand
Leaf-  provolone cheese leaf painted with food coloring
Strings-  string cheese pulled apart
Birds-  half Cheerios, I cut the actual Cheerios in half to create a "U" or "V" shaped bird.

Top right Ladybird/Ladybug:

Ladybug- one large radish cut into two pieces. I scored and removed part of the red outer skin with a paring knife and created divots where I wanted the black spots.

The black spots- are chocolate chipes that I stuck to the Radish by heating up my knife on the burner and warming the tip end of the chocolate chip and pressing it to the radish until cooled.

She sits on a bed of Cheerios to make her easier to see and get out of the compartment without knocking chocolate chips off.


Bottom left: The Giant Peach and book title

1/2 a Giant peach,
 tortilla book jacket with the book title written with a chopstick dipped into food coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment