Tuesday, September 17, 2013

9.12.13 National Video Games Day

National Video Game lunch

I am a gamer, there I have come out of the video game closet yet again on the internet. I am a nerdy gamer geek mom. This should be the easiest lunch of all.. Right?? You would be  terribly wrong in thinking that.  I just had too many choices and ideas. I also "tend" to have OCD <twitch> or <cough> perfectionist moments that rear up and bite me, and I recognized the signs of that coming on. I didn't want to do another Angry Bird lunch as I have recently done a few of those... what to do? Are you starting to get the idea I'm particularly hard on myself? Little S is 16 months old he honestly doesn't know Pacman from Angry Birds from WoW. I started souring the internet and other bento mom/dad blogs which was no help in narrowing down my ideas.

What to do? I decided on Pacman for the main box because it is iconic and sort of hard to mess up.  I had a lot of things around the house I could use already to fill in the rest I just couldn't bring myself to making Pacman out of a slice of cheese, so  I broke my usual rule and sent M to the store specifically for this lunch. I sent him for the breaded chicken patties. My personal rule is normally not to get special things for these lunches and instead make what I have at home work in the theme. This is normally where I walk my talk about thinking outside the box while playing inside the rules only today I cheated and broke my own rule. I think this lunch came out pretty cool... considering I improvised a lot of it.



Each section of the lunch box had it's own game since I couldn't narrow it down.

Top:
Pacman:  breaded chicken patty cut into a Pacman (I used a round cookie cutter because the full breaded patty wouldn't have left room for anything else in the box or in little S. Pacman has a chocolate chip eye

Dots: String cheese cut horizontally into little disks.

Ghost: I only had orange so the other ghosts were cut from the line up. I used an orange bell pepper from my garden to cut his shape, and royal icing eyes to complete him.

Bottom left; Angry bird graham crackers (left over from previous lunches and snacking) these are in a poka dot paper muffin cup. The remaining string cheese stick was cut into little S size pieces and placed in a mini silicone muffin cup.

Bottom right: diced mango topped with a cheese and pepperoni Mario logo. I cut the rough M shape with a paring knife and cut the circle from provolone cheese with a cookie cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment