Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Valentine's Day

Valentine's day for me is another time to help little S learn that he is loved and cherished; while carrying on a piece of my mom. Growing up we would come downstairs the morning of Valentine's day to find a package waiting on a decorated table with a red outfit or shirt something we could wear to school for valentine's day. This is now little S's second Valentine's day and the second time he has come downstairs to find presents and a new red shirt.


This is what the table looked like:






This is a close up of his 14th heart message of love:


Each of the first 14 days in February I leave a heart message and a heart chocolate on the table for him. Either his dad or I read to him what is written on the heart - each heart has a different thing I love about him written on it. Then I take the hearts and tape them to one of the two mirrors in the hallway so when he is lifted up to see himself his image is covered by all the things I love about him. I am trying to ensure that on some level when he sees himself in the mirror he sees how much he is loved, subconsciously if you are being held by someone who loves you and your image is covered in loving messages you have to know you are valued and supported. I want to subtly increase his self worth and teach him how much he means to me and the world. This is now the second time I have given him the fourteen hearts of love and the second time I have collected and saved the hearts so that they can be added to a scrap book. I want to be prepared if there is ever a time when he feels unloved or unwanted or under valued to be able to share the book of fourteen things I have loved about him since he has been born. If I do a good job and that time never comes then I will wait to give him the book at a different time, maybe at his wedding, the birth of his child, or should I die I want it there for him so he can always know how much his mommy loved him.



Because I want "bath" time to be fun he also had a Valentine's Day bath. This is red tinted water, white bubbles, and candy heart like containers. He loved playing with the containers washing the bubbles off them.





February 14th also happens to be International Give a Child a book day - So instead of a card I gave him this book about how a mommy loves her son. Little S was also given several books by from his god mother which you can see him reading below wearing his new red sweater,





No comments:

Post a Comment